You’ve made the choice to become more mindful about your impact on the planet, but your nearest and dearest aren’t as aware or involved as you are. You want to say “come on guys - let's make an impact together”
We can’t tell our friends what to do, but we can help them to understand and hopefully adopt some eco-friendly habits. Here are our tips:
Think about that inherent reaction we all have when someone tells you what to do.
More often than not we want to do the polar opposite, right?
This approach is more about planting a seed in the mind of others, that may someday potentiate the ripple effect of small or big changes down the line.
Start with a handful of stats & facts
Gently explain why these stats reinforce why sustainability is important to you
Celebrate the small sustainable changes your friends and family makes
Empower others with knowledge!
Disempower others for not yet joining the movement
Judge current non-sustainable choices
1. We know buying gifts for friends isn’t always easy!
2. How do you get your friends to can the plastic without directly telling them
When the season of buying presents comes around, a brilliant way to influence your nearest and dearest is to gift them with eco-friendly, sustainable prezzies!
Some well-received ideas are:
* Coconut Bowls in different shapes & sizes
* Plantbased Cookbook
* Grocery Bag
* Reusable Drink Bottle
+ more here
Debunk the myth that one person can’t make a difference - they absolutely can! And do.
To put simply, if one person pledges to use a reusable coffee cup everyday for a year, the result is negative 365 plastic pieces contributing to landfill every year. If that individual leads by example and empowers just one other, the result is negative 730 pieces and so on. The ripple effect!
1. Empowering and supporting individuals to make personal changes, expands into communities and workplaces.
2. Sharing positive stories of solutions engage a wide audience and influence change. People do what they see others do.
3. Driving systemic change through a groundswell of community action.
Sustainable living is for everyone & with the right tact, you can inspire your friends and family to join you on the journey. Being part of a change for the better is rewarding and contagious for consumers and businesses.