Coconut Bowls Offers Bamboo Straws
Coconut Bowls aims to advocate sustainable living and the reduction of waste with our reclaimed products as well as our bamboo straws. Australians use around 3.5 billion plastic straws a year, or 10 million a day and most of these are used for less than a half-hour before they are thrown away, littering our streets and clogging our landfills. With a set of reusable bamboo straws, you can stop contributing to that waste and move closer to a sustainable future for you and your children.
When Buying Reusable Bamboo Straws Consider This
If you are making the conscious choice to live a more environmentally sustainable life by replacing your disposable plastic straws with reusable bamboo ones, you want to ensure that you are buying them from a company as dedicated to sustainability as you are. Bamboo is a wonderful material, and with its incredible growth rate, it is one of the most renewable of resources, but some unscrupulous dealers harvest their bamboo in an unsustainable or environmentally damaging way. Here are a few ways that we dedicate ourselves to sustainability with all our products:
- Coconut Bowls began operating when we learned that the global coconut market discarded billions of coconut shells a year in local landfills where they are buried or burned. Reclaiming that waste, we now use over 10,000 coconut shells each month.
- We adhere to our moral and ethical values in procuring our materials. This code of conduct includes working with fair trade certified farms to ensure that the workers who harvest the materials receive a fair wage.
- More than just a brand, we are a movement for global sustainability. We provide regular donations to charities and are committed to offsetting our entire carbon footprint for all our shipments and deliveries.
Key Questions to Ask Coconut Bowls About Bamboo Straws in Australia
Bamboo can be a novel material for many of our customers, and while it is easy to use and clean, many people ask about its care requirements. With that knowledge, they can keep reusing their bamboo straws even longer. Proper care of bamboo straws include the following:
- Our four-pack of bamboo straws includes a convenient cloth carry pouch as well as a bamboo cleaner. Use this cleaner to clean the inside shortly after use thoroughly.
- Bamboo straws are not dishwasher compatible, but they are easy to hand wash with warm soapy water.
- Do not expose them to extreme heat, including microwaves and ovens.
Background to Bamboo Drinking Straw Development
Plastic is a relatively recent development, its widespread use as straws has only happened in the last 100 years, but people have been drinking from straws for much longer. In areas without native bamboo, other grasses or even metal was the preferred material, but bamboo, as the world’s fastest-growing plant and with its hollow and durable nature, became the straw material of choice in Asia where it is native. Now, when more and more people are looking for more sustainable straw options than disposable plastic, bamboo is making a big comeback. Contact us today to learn more about how you can join us in ditching the plastic straw.